sparkleA’s Election Post (October, 2018)

sparkleA

Citizen
Hello! So, you may know me, but for those of you that don’t, I’m sparkleA, aka Sparks. NOTE: If you do not plan to read this entire post, read “more introductory stuff”, “my stances on hot topic issues” and “closing remarks”. I decided to run this term because I feel like my opinions can be helpful in Parliament. Not only do I have over a year of Parliament experience, but I also know how other parts of the server work from my other ranks. If you made it this far into my post, congratulations for not having a less than 20 second attention span. You will also probably have noticed that I have chosen to forego the suggested format and just write this my own way. We will see how that worked out for me this time when votes start coming in. Basically, I just want you all to know who I am and why you should vote for me, but I want to do it in my own way, because the format isn’t really my favorite. I guess my own way is apparently writing a paragraph. Huh. As a side note, some of you who read my post last election may notice this was almost the same as my previous one. Yes, I did just edit the other one, but that’s fine, we have new players and I’m sure not everyone read it last time. Plus, it is a bit different. Moving on.

More introductory stuff: I’m a senior administrator as well as the Minister of Public Affairs. I joined the server a bit over a year ago, but since then I had a bit of in-game inactivity while still staying very active on Discord and the forums. Recently, I have gained more in-game activity without losing any of my activity on Discord and maybe even more activity on the forums. I served my first term as an MP last August, 2017, before becoming a mod. Because mods used to automatically be MPs, I was in Parliament since then and also made it next term.

Previous bills: Since I’ve been in Parliament for over year, I’ve had the opportunity to post some motions, which I admit not all were passed. Here are the 9 that did make it into law (ordered chronologically, from oldest to most recent) so you have some of my previous work to look at when considering whether you should vote for me. Please note, I also collaborated with others on some bills, so they aren’t listed under my name nor here, but I still do work with others in Parliament to get stuff done.

Allowing wood in construction of suburbs houses - This motion was a very simple concept that changed the law to allow wood when used well in the suburbs and was passed 7-0.

Replacement System for MPs - Contrary to the previous motion, this one is much more complicated. Basically, I created a system in case MPs resigned, or in another way were removed from office, so that all the seats in Parliament would be filled. Passed 10-0.

Stealing Edit - Increased punishments for stealing to what you see in the law now. Passed 9-2.

Pets in Apartments - Previously no animals were allowed in apartments, but after this bill, dogs, cats, and parrots were legal apartment pets. Passed 11-1.

Harassment Penalty - This bill made harassment illegal and had very detailed punishments for it. Passed 11-0.

Motion Wait Time Edit - Before this bill was passed, motions needed to be on the forum for five days before they were put into the two day voting period. I thought that was way too long, so I changed it to a 24 hour waiting period before two days of voting. Passed 10-0.

Allowing only farmers to sell crops - Oh my gosh this bill was so controversial. I decided to make it as a compromise to the Parliamentary debate as to whether only farmers can have farms at all. In an in-game poll, this was the most supported option by the players as well. To summarize here, although you should really read the bill to try to fully understand it, only farmers were allowed to sell crops directly to players and only farmers could buy or sell crops through a chest shop. Passed 5-3.

Two Jobs - My most recent bill allowed players to hold both a university/regular job and an aqua/departmental job. Passed 5-0.

As you can see, I have had a variety of ideas that I believe benefited the server as a whole. You can also check out the denied/invalid subforum here to see what other motions I tried to get passed and you may notice some similarities between my old motions and some bills made more recently. But my past isn’t the only indicator of why you should vote for me.

My stances on hot topic issues:

Guns/drugs - not really necessary, but could be an interesting addition to go with the Department of Justice. I would have to see the public opinion on this one before voting.

Vehicle prices - too expensive. They are almost the price or more than actually getting a house, so I believe they should be lowered.

Housing/plot prices - this is controversial, but I honestly don’t think houses/plots cost too much. They are not supposed to be bought immediately, like in real life, you can first get an apartment and then save up for a house.

Other gov prices - I do think regioning in the wild could stand to be somewhat cheaper, but I need to see public opinion as well. The gov shop is made to be expensive to buy and cheap to sell to encourage players buying from other players, so I don’t think that should change.

Realism - although this isn’t a hot topic issue, basically everyone wants to promote it, I also believe realism is incredibly important. In fact, realism drew me to this server and caused me to stick around, at least in the beginning. Now, the community also keeps me here, because without you guys, I would never have gotten to where I am in this server. So thank you guys.

Closing remarks: Whether you vote for me or not, thank you for taking the time to read my weirdly formatted post (in case you missed the beginning, I did this on purpose so I could express my opinions as freely as possible and in my own way). But in addition to all the above information, I really do believe I can provide you a voice. I have experience with community feedback because of my Ministerial position, and I do take into account public opinions, especially ones from polls. So vote for me, because every vote, every voice, matters. Thank you so much!

bharatj

Staff member
Department of Justice
Department of Construction
Lawyer
bharatj
bharatj
Constructor
Good luck Sporks