Answered / Added Librarian Job

Mineqaft

Citizen
Username: Mineqaft
Suggestion Title: Librarian Job
Does this require the installation of a new plugin: No

Elaboration:

With the government removing the Taxi Driver, Bodyguard, and Designer job, the server could definitely use some diversity in the amount of jobs that are offered.

My solution would be to add a Librarian Job. A librarian's job would be to let people check out books and keep a log of what they borrowed. This log would be found and posted on the forums. With the addition of this job, all of the bookshelves in the library would be locked to the public (so only librarians can access them). People would have a 30 day period to return their books, with each day after that having an increased amount to pay to the government. For example, if I borrowed 5 books and failed to return them, I would have to pay the government 15 krunas (15 krunas from 5 books x 3 krunas per book) per day until I returned the books.

With the library having an excessive amount of bookshelves, they can be separated into categories. For example, put a sign/hologram on a row of bookshelves that has "Fiction" labeled on it. For the individual bookshelves, there would be a sign on it that had the name of four different books, with one book on each line of a sign. (which means that there would be a max of 4 different books in one bookshelf, but that's fine as the library has over 220) This would be a quality of life change, as librarians would no longer have to open every single bookshelf in their quest of trying to locate a single book. Instead, they can just look at the sign/hologram and head over there.

This would be a government paid job, with the application being located on the forums. (the reason why this wouldnt be available for everyone to take by an exam is because we need to have some degree of trust in the librarians so we know that they won't take all the books or lie in their logs.) Librarians would be managed by the Department of Commerce and Education.

Although the bookshelves in the library are currently all empty, the government/library can purchase books from writers to fill them up. This would support writers and let the public read stories.

The government would set a limit on how many books a player can borrow at once. (I recommend 2-4)

I had this burst of thought from my mind and tried to write it down quickly before it vanished, so I apologize if any of my explanations were unclear. If you would like clarification or have any questions, please respond to this thread.

This topic is inspired by cybersimgeek's suggestion of a library upgrade. His post can be found here: https://mcbusinesscraft.com/forum/threads/library-upgrade.4649/

Last edited:

Mineqaft

Citizen
Instead of having a one block gap between bookshelves, we can have a two block gap to put two signs (see image attached). Also, for the log, we can have a section dedicated to it on the forums (just like how PIs have a section for their logs). When posting a log as a librarian, you would need to send a screenshot that has you asking the person in local chat, "You are renting out Book title 1, book title 2, and book title 3, correct?" and the player agreeing. This would ensure that librarians don't lie on logs.

The format would be similar to this
Title: Mineqaft's checkout - 6/17/19
Books borrowed: book title 1, book title 2, book title 3
Due date: 7/17/19

When you first walk in the library, there's a front desk among all the bookshelves. We can put a sign there saying "Click to call a Librarian" or something similar to what we have on the sign for tour guides at spawn and the sign at the hospital for doctors.

Attachments

• 2019-06-17_13.32.40.png
    2019-06-17_13.32.40.png
    225.2 KB · Views: 12

Vroomba

Citizen
Donator
Vroomba
Vroomba
Tier2
Could we construct instead an extra wing to the library to house all this, while also leaving the old building in its place and intact? That building is old and tbh a work of art. I’m sure it would qualify for a historic building protection.

Blitzblaze41

Citizen
Donator
Who says we have to tear down/change the building to make a book store? From what I’ve seen the library is rarely used.

Blitzblaze41

Citizen
Donator
Nobody uses the library anyways, so why not just turn it into a book store instead of having to build a separate place for a book store?

Mineqaft

Citizen
sorry for the late reply to all this; i had no idea people actually responded/viewed my thread

we can divide the library into a section for book selling and lending books i guess. i would recommend lending books in general because you can make writers money as well as create a new job at the same time. kind of like killing two birds with one stone.

we can have a librarian with the lending option, but we cant if we decide to go for the bookstore option. after all, librarians would just give people perms to make a chestshop, which i guess takes the effort of only one person (such as Danielw_ and the newsstand) or takes the effort of staff, which the server already has.

GarMen

Veteran Player
Donator
Who says we have to tear down/change the building to make a book store? From what I’ve seen the library is rarely used.

The library and its design is OG though...

Could we construct instead an extra wing to the library to house all this, while also leaving the old building in its place and intact? That building is old and tbh a work of art. I’m sure it would qualify for a historic building protection.

Well is it possible we could have multiple floors added to the library? Of course downward so we do not destroy the original look of the library. The floors could hold more books, if needed, and have an area in itself as the bookstore.

GarMen

Veteran Player
Donator
Is it possible to also move the parking under the library, in a fashion that is similar, to the mall?

LethalFantocinni

Lethal
Banned
Donator
The library is one of the first buildings in the Capital,

I'll be sending a Historical Building Application on it, adding this would ruin the history that make it so great.

Sprite

Citizen
Donator
The library is one of the first buildings in the Capital,

I'll be sending a Historical Building Application on it, adding this would ruin the history that make it so great.
i know man wouldnt it just suck if we improved the server over history you don't even remember???