Elections

Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
Greetings everyone!
From the very first day and planning stages of the server, before a single chunk has been made yet we wanted to go for a City Roleplay server with a Government system & democracy. From July until December we worked hard on all aspects of it while the server was in beta and whitelisted, and now 4 Months later, we are finally announcing the very thing we based our server upon - a democratic system.
It is time to reintroduce the Parliament - the legislative branch of the Government which is consisted of Server Staff & MPs (Member of Parliament) which will be elected by you, the people.
The Government & Staff have been discussing the best election system and mainly discussed 2 different systems until 1 system the majority agreed on was forged as a compromise between the 2. The system goes as follows:
  • Member of Parliament (MPs) will be elected by the people. Elections will happen every 2 months, starting from April 2017;
    • On the 10th of every election month, a server Owner will post that month’s election thread. On it, all candidates will post their views and why they believe they should be elected;
    • On the 20th of every election month, the polls will start and the topic will be locked. Everyone will be able to pick up to 5 candidates they want to see in office;
    • On the 30th of every election month, the polls will close and the winners will be announced. They will be given their MP permissions on both in-game and on forums and the ability to view the Parliament board on forum, on which they will be discussing all future legislative changes;
    • In case an Election month doesn’t have 30 days (i.e February), the dates will be modified to suit the month (8th - 18th - 28th rather than 10th - 20th - 30th);
    • As for the actual government system, and the powers of the Parliament - click here.
  • Regarding the Executive branch (Prime Minister among other positions), it will not be an elected office and will, at the moment, be available only to the current Prime Minister as the server is still fairly new and still worked on which requires an Owner to be the Prime Minister as well. Whether this aspect will be changed in the future, only time will well but it’s safe to say that the Prime Minister will no longer have a 'dictator' feel;
  • Regarding other positions in the executive branch:
    • All Ministers will have to be nominated by the Prime Minister and approved by the Parliament;
      Ministers will be removed if the rest of the Cabinet agrees with their termination;
    • In case a Minister was picked from MPs/Staff they will be able to vote on legislation, however if they were picked from other players that are not a part of Parliament or the Staff, they will be able to view the Parliament board but not actually vote.

There has been some confusion regarding to some names/aliases within the Government, so let me put it this way to help some people understand:
Executive Branch = Cabinet = Prime Minister + Ministers
Legislative Branch = Parliament = Server Staff + MPs

xSyncx

Scamalot
Donator
Say I want to run for MP, would being in GMT+8 hurt my chances or make it more difficult?

SlimeEmperor

Mayor of Covington
Donator
Say I want to run for MP, would being in GMT+8 hurt my chances or make it more difficult?
Not really. The elections are forum-based, so all you HAVE to do is keep up with your election post. Although it might be good to do some things in-game such as speeches, etc.
If you were elected, your duties would be to suggest motions and to vote on bills, which is also forum-based.

xSyncx

Scamalot
Donator
If you are a MP voted in March, do you lose your positions and post again or do you stay in that position. Also, if I want to run again in August, can I just Copy and Paste my June post?

Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
If you are a MP voted in March, do you lose your positions and post again or do you stay in that position. Also, if I want to run again in August, can I just Copy and Paste my June post?
You lose the position, but the MP position is not limited by terms therefore they can run again. And no.