LobsterRoast's Election Post (September 2020)

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
Thank you for taking the time to read this election post.

Hi gamers im LobsterRoast and im running for Parliament. You probably already know me as the obnoxiously
annoying HS/CC, as well as the CEO of IDA Pharmaceutical.

I joined the server in I believe March of 2017 and although I dropped it around mid 2018, I returned as of December last year and am once again playing actively. At the moment I clock out at around 30 days of playtime so take that as you will.

I believe I am suited for parliament as an active member not only of the server, but of the community as a whole; The community IS the people, and the people are what parliament represents. I will support bills that provide freedom, quality of life, etc, for the people, but I also believe its important that the current laws provide clarity and stability for the server's economy and community, as well as the safety and well being of civilians. I plan to attend the debate if possible, so stay tuned.

Some bills I would like to introduce are:

-Adding Writers to the ESL
-Definition of "Eyesore"
-Prohibition of Safety Hazards
-Anti-Soliciting

-LobsterRoast

Last edited:

hotshot80915

Citizen
Donator
hotshot80915
hotshot80915
Tier1
Thank you for taking the time to read this election post.

Hi gamers im LobsterRoast and im running for Parliament. You probably already know me as the obnoxiously
annoying HS/CC, as well as the CEO of IDA Pharmaceutical.

I joined the server in I believe March of 2017 and although I dropped it around mid 2018, I returned as of December last year and am once again playing actively. At the moment I clock out at around 30 days of playtime so take that as you will.

I believe I am suited for parliament as an active member not only of the server, but of the community as a whole; The community IS the people, and the people are what parliament represents. I will support bills that provide freedom, quality of life, etc, for the people, but I also believe its important that the current laws provide clarity and stability for the server's economy and community, as well as the safety and well being of civilians. I plan to attend the debate if possible, so stay tuned.

Some bills I would like to introduce are:

-Mandation of Treatment for Contagious Diseases
-Definition of "Eyesore"
-Prohibition of Safety Hazards
-Anti-Soliciting

-LobsterRoast

Nice post.

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
Isn't refusing treatment for infectious diseases already illegal? What is different about this bill?
Come to think of it I believe it is, but the bare minimum cost of refusing treatment is below the price of some remedies in the first place. I dont support that because it means less insentive to actually get treated. Simply raising the price would mean that getting treatment will always be cheaper than just refusing it, and therefore create less insentive to refuse treatment. I understand that played have to pay the cost for the fine and the cure, but this prevents any misunderstandings as well.

By the way I think I always took that part of the law to mean that doctors cant refuse to treat patients with contagious diseases if they cant pay which is true but now that i grew a brain im kinda regretting putting that in my election post but we still gucci

Can you elaborate more on what these mean?
Prohibition of safety hazards would prevent players from using blocks than can harm a player or prove annoying to them. This bill ties in with the eyesore definition as eyesores can be subjective sometimes. It prevents things like Lava, Fire, Cobwebs from being used in buildings as well as magma blocks in some cases.

Anti-Soliciting makes it illegal to use PMs as an alternative to /ad if:
-The victim has warned the solicitor to stop
-The solicitor has messaged the victim 5+ times
-The victim consents to a moderator punishing the solicitor

Rather than being a law, this would be a server rule as it proves annoying to players and evades the cost of using /ad.

Last edited:

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
That's a good point, I always wondered more about what happened when a player literally doesn't have enough money for treatment. I do agree that's different than a player outright refusing treatment and purposely infecting others. Does that happen often enough for a bill to be made about it?

I like your Anti-Solicitation idea. You have my support there.

Cobwebs are used for decorative purposes to indicate smoke or even that a place is actually old and dusty. And fireplaces are a thing. But, I understand the spirit of your idea.

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
That's a good point, I always wondered more about what happened when a player literally doesn't have enough money for treatment. I do agree that's different than a player outright refusing treatment and purposely infecting others. Does that happen often enough for a bill to be made about it?

I like your Anti-Solicitation idea. You have my support there.

Cobwebs are used for decorative purposes to indicate smoke or even that a place is actually old and dusty. And fireplaces are a thing. But, I understand the spirit of your idea.

-Not particularly often but there have been atleast 3 cases where players have stalled for way too long trying to get treatment because they didnt wanna pay.

As for the Prohibition of Safety Hazards, what I described when i was talking about it was more or less a rough draft of it, I plan on working with the department of construction to refine it better before i actually make the bill.

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
Is this going to include things like sweet berries?
Sweetberries were something i considered but they're so widely used that I ultimately decided against including them in the draft.

Also sorry i didnt specify this but as long as the safety hazard is secured in a way that prevents players from being normally being affected by it, you cant be convicted for it. So that means fireplaces with glass infront of the fire are ok, cobwebs in the top corners of rooms, etc,

Windows_Dog

Microsoft Replay
Staff member
Administrator
Department of Internal Development
Department of Public Affairs
Lawyer
Donator
Windows_Dog
Windows_Dog
CommunityCoordinator
Thank you for running in this election, I have some questions I would like to get cleared up.

So originally I wasn't too sure of what you meant by the anti-soliciting bill, but now I have some basic understanding, I have some questions that needs to be answered.
Anti-Soliciting makes it illegal to use PMs as an alternative to /ad if:
-The victim has warned the solicitor to stop
-The solicitor has messaged the victim 5+ times
-The victim consents to a moderator punishing the solicitor
Are you proposing a bill that refuses players to be contacted by business owners to join their business? If I'm not mistaken, this is already a harassment case, which is already under the staff's jurisdiction. So what exactly are you trying to push in particular with this bill? We already stress on players to contact staff about players that still continuously harass them.

-Definition of "Eyesore"
Further, the "Definition of 'Eyesore'" is arguably an opinionated reason and is quite versatile from building to building. As Property Inspectors, we have started to explain to the players why it is considered an eyesore, so can you explain what were you trying to succeed by pushing for this bill/explanation?

Are you trying to propose a protocol for Doctors to become public? If so, how are you trying to prevent players from abusing this system you want to create.
As per policy, doctors have to inform patients about the other ways of making money, this could be voting, hunting mobs, or fishing. The prices of remedies were set so everything can be under the money you make from voting once (20kr). Though as you have said above, there is already a law that prevents players from outright refusing treatment, "Refusing Treatment of Contagious Disease" which are already enforced by the POs.

You can take your time to make a reply to this and thank you for taking the time to read this.

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
Are you proposing a bill that refuses players to be contacted by business owners to join their business? If I'm not mistaken, this is already a harassment case, which is already under the staff's jurisdiction. So what exactly are you trying to push in particular with this bill? We already stress on players to contact staff about players that still continuously harass them.

Further, the "Definition of 'Eyesore'" is arguably an opinionated reason and is quite versatile from building to building. As Property Inspectors, we have started to explain to the players why it is considered an eyesore, so can you explain what were you trying to succeed by pushing for this bill/explanation?
-Not only business owners, as stated this includes ads prompting consumers to buy a product, as well as trying to buy a product from another person.

-Also stated before, don't take "definition of 'eyesore'" at face value, as i'll hopefully be working with lux and the doc to work out exactly what it should be, and then creating the bill which should clear up everything people need to know about what is and isnt an eyesore in one foul swoop.

Neither of these things are explicitly stated in the rules and laws page of the forums to my knowledge and that should justify having a bill that makes them more official and clear.

Windows_Dog

Microsoft Replay
Staff member
Administrator
Department of Internal Development
Lawyer
Donator
Windows_Dog
Windows_Dog
CommunityCoordinator
Hey, thanks again for answering these questions.

-Not only business owners, as stated this includes ads prompting consumers to buy a product, as well as trying to buy a product from another person.
Even if its business owners or other anything DM related, if the victim said no but they are still hesitant, it becomes harassment which is outlined in the rules and it becomes staff jurisdiction.

-Also stated before, don't take "definition of 'eyesore'" at face value, as i'll hopefully be working with lux and the doc to work out exactly what it should be, and then creating the bill which should clear up everything people need to know about what is and isnt an eyesore in one foul swoop.
I understand the intentions to it and quite interested into, how you will provide this bill.

Thank you for taking your time to reply and Good luck with your campaign!

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
Even if its business owners or other anything DM related, if the victim said no but they are still hesitant, it becomes harassment which is outlined in the rules and it becomes staff jurisdiction.
Thanks for the feedback!

Even though it technically is already harassment, I would still like to make this bill more such to seperate it from harassment as the current rules regarding harassment are rather vague.

violetunknown

Your Friendly Neighborhood Trash Panda
Speaker of the Parliament
Member of Parliament
Lawyer
Donator
violetunknown
violetunknown
Speaker of Parliament
OwO ily Mr. Faddaman!! Good Luck!

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
aight so it turns out i probably wont be able to attend the debate so ill answer a select few of the questions that stand out to me after the debate happens ;)

LobsterRoast

Actually the best
Lawyer
Donator
LobsterRoast
LobsterRoast
Lawyer
-What is your Biggest Achievement on BusinessCraft and how can this reflect on your term?
I think my biggest achievement is the connections I've made with the community, and I think being involved in the community is something MP's should strive for.

-What inspired you to run for Parliament in the first place?
I wanted to run for parliament to help shape the server into my vision and the community's vision. Parliament is quite literally the voice of the community and multiple people have told me I have what it takes to effectively be the one of the community's vocal cords

-What are your opinions on the re-creation of Community Service and what would you change about it?

I personally am in support of Community Service as players in jail are effectively just a redundant number on the player tab, unable to contribute to the community, the server, or the economy. Typically Jail sentences are only multiple minutes but the amount of people being arrested and the combined playtime lost adds up.

-Are there any issues you see in the server currently? Why do you think this is an issue?
Centralization is an issue and while I am aware cabinet is working on it, I would like to put in an effort to do what I can to decentralize not only the map as a whole, but individual cities.