Donator
In The Distinguished Court of The Stratham Republic
APPEAL
Date: 01/27/22

wdeerman, representing himself

v.

The Government of Stratham

I. Description of Case

The Plaintiff brings forth the following causes of action and alleges the following against the Defendant:

Appeal to the dismissal of wdeerman v. The Government of Stratham due to the fact that there is room for discussion as to what the correct interpretation of what “The Cabinet consists of all Ministers who collectively enforce all laws and run all government departments and thus the server” means. Also, even though the Pruning Tax Act is called a “tax” in the legislation, there is room for discussion as to if the “tax” is still a punishment which would require the Act to comply with the Law Officiation Bill.

II. Parties
1. wdeerman
2. The Government of Stratham

III. Sequence of Events
1. wdeerman v. The Government of Stratham is filed
2. Motion to dismiss is filed by the defense
3. Motion to dismiss is sustained

IV. Claims for Relief

It is important to note that the following two arguments are independent. The determined validity of one does not affect the validity of the other.

Argument regarding the DoE’s ability to enforce laws under the constitution:

“The Cabinet consists of all Ministers who collectively enforce all laws…”

This excerpt from our constitution has been interpreted by the defense as that each Minister has an equal ability and equal authority to enforce all laws passed by Parliament. At face value, this seems to make sense, however, there is some missing context.

The entire phrase states, “The Cabinet consists of all Ministers who collectively enforce all laws and run all government departments and thus the server.”

In order to maintain the consistency of the sentence, if we choose to apply one interpretation to the enforcement of laws portion of the sentence, we must also apply that same interpretation to the running of government departments portion of the sentence. This interpretation as a whole, according to the defense’s argument about the authority of Ministers to enforce laws, brings the complete interpretation of this line in our constitution to: each Minister has an equal ability and equal authority to enforce all laws passed by Parliament, and each Minister has the equal ability and equal authority to run all government departments.

This interpretation is not consistent with the fact that each minister is given authority over their prospective departments. Furthermore, ministers without portfolio are called advisers in the Constitution which implies that they have no authority over the individual running of each department.

These inconsistencies shown between the Defense’s arguments and the actual wording of our Constitution give cause for there to be more discussion about this topic.

Argument regarding the Law Officiation Bill:

Due to the fact that the wording of the Law Officiation Bill does not state that the punishments need to be related to criminal law, it is safe to assume that any law that contains a punishment needs to comply with the Law Officiation Bill in order to be legally enforceable.

The definition of punish according to Marriam-Webster is: “To impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation. The definition of punishment according to Britannica is: “The infliction of some kind of pain or loss upon a person for a misdeed (i.e., the transgression of a law or command).”

According to these definitions, there are two conditions for something to qualify as a ‘punishment’;
  1. Some wrongdoing (eg. misdeed, breaking of law, offense, violation etc.)
  2. Some loss as the result

While the Pruning Tax Act does not include the word “punish” or “punishment”, it is clear that the law is designed to act as so. The law was made to discourage players with large balances from being inactive by seizing their assets if they did so. There is wrongdoing which is described as being inactive for greater than 6 weeks, and there is a prescribed loss as a result of the wrongdoer’s action which is to have their assets seized by the government. Therefore, the enforcement of the Pruning Tax Act is a punishment and needs to comply with the Law Officiation Bill.

Furthermore, there are many different forms of taxation and many different types of taxes. One type of tax is a “penal tax”. The definition of penal tax according to Law Insider is: “A tax imposed as a penalty for failure to perform an act required by or under a tax law.”

Wdeerman failed to perform the requirement of staying active under the Pruning Tax Act, and had a “tax” imposed upon him due to that failure. This connection shows that the Pruning Tax Act is a penal tax which is also a form of punishment.

Finally, I think it is important to point out that letting legislation define itself solely based on its name is a dangerous thing to do. This could open the door to allowing future legislation with ill intent to define itself as something it is not in order to receive a desired treatment in the courts.

V. Damages
1. Damages filed in original case

In advancing this form to the court, you acknowledge and concur with the rules of court which highlight the importance of honesty at all times. Moreover, you understand the punishments for breaking these rules and/or committing perjury and deception in the court.

Cooleagles2005

Citizen
Lawyer
Cooleagles
Cooleagles
Lawyer
Good Evening,

Before I summon the DOE Minister once again, I would like to make something clear in regards to your first argument. In your first argument you stated the following,
~
"This interpretation as a whole, according to the defense’s argument about the authority of Ministers to enforce laws, brings the complete interpretation of this line in our constitution to: each Minister has an equal ability and equal authority to enforce all laws passed by Parliament, and each Minister has the equal ability and equal authority to run all government departments.
This interpretation is not consistent with the fact that each minister is given authority over their prospective departments."
~
The interpretation you have explained via the Defendant's prior words and its inconsistency with how the government actually works does not correlate in my opinion; in other words, I agree with you in that aspect. However, it is not because the interpretation is incorrect it is because the interpretation itself is being misinterpreted. The idea of Ministers having the equal ability and equal authority over all the laws and government departments is not in a plural setting if that makes sense. The Cabinet is not some grand council that all collectively decide on what is to happen in certain situations. We do not see the DoA minister making a judgment on a DoC matter. That equal ability and authority are divided into these said Departments. The DoE has its own Department and they enforce laws that correlate with that Department (Economics laws). Overall the interpretation does say that each Minister has the equal power to enforce laws and run government departments; however, that power is divided into those specific Departments. Each Minister has the equal power to enforce laws and run departments, with respect to their own department. I see your argument, and if the conditions were true I would most likely agree with you, but I believe that you are slightly twisting and pushing the interpretation to make your argument more sound. That is not necessarily a bad thing, it's what a lawyer will do, but I see no point in arguing it further. Therefore, from this point forward, I ask that the case focus specifically on the plaintiff's arguments regarding the Law Officiation Bill. If the plaintiff feels I made a mistake with my thought process, they are more than allowed to correct me and try to rectify said decision, but otherwise, that is how we will proceed with this case.

@Matthew100x is hereby summoned to the court to acknowledge the case. If the Defendant, @Matthew100x , does not acknowledge the case as a reply in 2 days, the case will close in the Plaintiff's favor.

Court is in Session

This case is presided by Judge Cooleagles Bear in mind to not reply to court cases unless summoned by the Judge!

Matthew100x

Citizen
Lawyer
Donator
Matthew100x
Matthew100x
Lawyer
In The Distinguished Court of The Stratham Republic
MOTION TO DISMISS
Date: 01/30/22

Wdeerman
Represented by Himself.

v.

Department of Economy
Represented by Matthew100x

I. Motion To Dismiss
The Defendant motions to dismiss the case, respectfully based off the following:
1. As established in the original case, wdeerman v. The Government of Stratham, there is no explicit punishment listed in the Pruning Tax. There needs to be a punishment listed in order for the law officiation act to come into effect. Therefore, since there is no punishment because it is a tax, the Pruning Tax does not need to be listed on the forums per the Law Officiation forum page.

In advancing this form to the court, you acknowledge and concur with the rules of court which highlight the importance of honesty at all times. Moreover, you understand the punishments for breaking these rules and/or committing perjury and deception in the court.

Cooleagles2005

Citizen
Lawyer
Cooleagles
Cooleagles
Lawyer
Good Evening,

Does the plaintiff have any rebuttal they wish to make? If so, I will allow 48 hours for said rebuttal to be posted. A verdict to the motion will be made following.

Thank you

wdeerman

Citizen
Donator
Good morning and thank you, Your Honor.

As I stated in my original post, while the Pruning Tax Act labels itself as a "tax" and does not explicitly state that there is a punishment, that does not mean that the law is not functioning as a punishment, and I believe that it is important to look at how the law functions over what it is labeled as in order to protect the public from any future laws that may have bad intent from getting preferential treatment in the courts due to the name of the law. Also, as stated in my original post, the definition of punish according to Marriam-Webster is: “To impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation, and the definition of punishment according to Britannica is: “The infliction of some kind of pain or loss upon a person for a misdeed (i.e., the transgression of a law or command).” In order for a punishment to exist there just has to be a penalty or the infliction of some kind of pain or loss due to a fault, offense, violation, or misdeed, and there was an infliction of the loss of 50% of my Karuna balance for my violation or misdeed of being inactive. Furthermore, the Law Officiation Act does not state a specific format for punishments that need to be laid out in the law for said law to need to comply with the Law Officiation Act. The Law Officiation Act also does not even state that for a law to need to comply with the Law Officiation Act it needs to have the word punish anywhere in the law. The Law Officiation Act just states that "this Bill (The Law Officiation Act) would also include laws enforced and punishable by any other department..." Finally, I would just like to say that just because the law calls itself a tax, that does not mean that it is not also a punishment.

Cooleagles2005

Citizen
Lawyer
Cooleagles
Cooleagles
Lawyer
Good Evening,

Firstly I want to apologize for my lack of responsiveness, there are many obligations I have myself set to at the moment, and I'm sorry that this has taken the back seat longer than expected. In regards, to the Plaintiff's response to the MTD, I know I originally said I would make a verdict, but I actually would like to hear a final argument from the Defense. I currently am debating this idea of the law including punishment even though it does not include such specific verbiage and terms. Although it is labeled as a tax, with the context the plaintiff provided, the idea of it being a punishment is not too far-fetched in my mind currently. I wish to hear the Defense's thoughts on and only on the following point made by the Plaintiff,

In order for a punishment to exist there just has to be a penalty or the infliction of some kind of pain or loss due to a fault, offense, violation, or misdeed, and there was an infliction of the loss of 50% of my Karuna balance for my violation or misdeed of being inactive.

What is the Defense's argument towards this idea that although it is not directly stated to be a punishment, the concept and idea behind the verbiage in question aligns with the standard definition of punishment?
Hopefully, depending on the answer, I will have sufficient information to make a fair and honest verdict.

I'm sorry once again for the dragging of this case, I simply want a clear answer in my mind as to what I believe this bill acts as and its full intentions.

That is all for now,
Thank you

Dusty_3

Citizen
Banned
Lawyer
Donator
Dusty_3
Dusty_3
Lawyer
Hello your honor,

Due to the recent resignation of the DoE minister, I will be taking over from this point forward.

A tax is a tax. The chest shop tax was implemented to accomplish the same as the pruning tax, further economic growth in this nation.
A punishment is a punishment. Fines are a form of punishment, taxes are not. This is not a fine, it is explicitly a tax.

The key difference is that by taxing individuals, the tax can be put toward improving the economy. Punishing individuals is made to prevent someone from doing something illegal. You are not breaking a law by being offline for a month, it does not go on your criminal record, you are not fined. This is a tax and quite clearly is one, and to label it as a punishment will cause issues with the chest shop tax as that is also not on the rules and laws page and has been taxing individuals for years.

I plead with you to not set a dangerous precedent that can further damage the economy

Thank you, your honor

Cooleagles2005

Citizen
Lawyer
Cooleagles
Cooleagles
Lawyer
Good Evening,

After hearing the arguments of each party, I have decided to sustain the Motion to Dismiss. Whilst the Plaintiff at first offered an interesting perspective of this tax being considered a punishment for those who are not online, the Defense's arguments highlighting the key difference between tax and punishment conveyed me over the line. Although, I still do agree with Cherub's original statement that the tax can be considered harsh; however, I do also agree that its existence is well needed. I personally believe that an opportunity for an individual to reclaim a small number of their balance back is fair enough, but I will leave that to the elected legislators.

I would like to thank both parties again for their time and effort in this hearing.
Thank you
Case Dismissed

Court Dismissed

This case was presided by Judge Cooleagles

Status
Not open for further replies.