In The District Court of The Stratham Republic

CIVIL ACTION

Date: 05/01/24

Arwwy
Burberrypeacoat Lawyer in Training at Wright & Co. Law Office

v.

Mxoak

I. Description of Case

The Plaintiff brings forth the following causes of action and alleges the following against the Defendant:

The defendant rented a furnished penthouse from the plaintiff, and proceeded to unrent the property only after taking all the furniture (with their associates) provided by the plaintiff in the property, despite clear rules stating not to break any of the items within.

II. Parties
  1. Arwwy
  2. Mxoak

III. Sequence of Events

1. Defendant rented property from plaintiff
2. Defendant broke furniture within property, despite clear rules posted at building entrance prohibiting this act
3. Defendant unrented property, keeping items taken from property

IV. Claims for Relief
  1. As per The Tenants and Landlords Rights Act, Section 5 Subsection 2: Tenants must follow rules posted by the landlord as long as they adhere to Section 5. Subsection 2 of this act.
  2. As per The Tenants and Landlords Rights Act, Section 7 Subsection 4: Stealing or removing Apartment Accommodations such as the ones defined in Section 4 of this act shall be punished following a class 2 misdemeanor
  3. As per The Tenants and Landlords Rights Act, Section 7 Subsection 4a: The landlord may sue for the value of the accommodations back.

V. Damages
  1. Furniture to be restored (or 1,500kr in lieu of the actual furniture)
  2. 1000kr for personal damages and inability to rent the region until the furniture is restored
  3. 1000kr for legal fees
VI. Evidence
1. Sign at the entrance of building stating tenant rules
2. Empty penthouse, after items were taken by mxoak
3. Logs showing the defendant broke various items within the property

Attachments

• Plaintiff_Evidence3.jpeg
    Plaintiff_Evidence3.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 42
  • Plaintiff_Evidence2.jpeg
    Plaintiff_Evidence2.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 41
  • Plaintiff_Evidence1.jpeg
    Plaintiff_Evidence1.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

P. Hunter

Chief Justice
Chief Justice
Justice
Judge
Department of Internal Development
Department of Construction
Lawyer
Donator
poemhunter
poemhunter
Chief Justice
In The Circuit Court of The Stratham Republic

Writ of Summons

Good Afternoon,

@Mxoak is hereby summoned to the Circuit Court of the Republic of Stratham, and must appear in the court in the following 48 hours starting at the time of the original summons sending. If the defendant fails to adhere to the conditions of the summons hereby set, the court will move forward with a default judgement.

Ryan_88

Prime Minister
Prime Minister
Minister of Justice
Department of State
Department of Justice
Lawyer
Donator
Ryan_88
Ryan_88
Prime Minister
MOTION TO DISMISS
Date: 05/05/24

Arwwy

v.

mxoak

I. Motion To Dismiss
The Defendant motions to dismiss the case, respectfully based off the following:
1. My client has not broken any provisions of law set forth in The Tenants and Landlords Rights Act. The plaintiff claims that my client has broken the rule of stealing or removing apartment accomodations. I disagree with that assessment as going off plaintiff_evidence3.jpeg. It shows my client only placing and breaking a pink_carpet, iron_trapdoor, black_carpet, moss_carpet, and potted_lily_of_the_valley. The rules that were set by arwwy state "(DONT BREAK) (PENTHOUSE ITEMS (AND END RODS)". I do not see any evidence provided to assert that the apartment was already built with the items my client broke.
2. I would like to bring up an evidentiary issue, plaintiff_evidence3.jpeg was clearly provided by someone in this servers staff team. I would like the court to take note that I have never seen the staff team provide logs such as those as evidence for court.
3. The Illegalization of Ex Post Facto Act states that "In cases of property law, Ex Post Facto protects you from any change. Any transaction of said property after a law is passed is considered a New Case and will be subject to the new law". The alleged actions my client took would have taken place before this bill was passed according to the coreprotect logs. The defendant is protected under this law and this case should be dismissed immediately with prejudice.

In advancing this form to the court, you acknowledge and concur with the rules of court which highlight the importance of honesty at all times. Moreover, you understand the punishments for breaking these rules and/or committing perjury and deception in the court.

Last edited:

burberrybandaid

Citizen
Lawyer
burberrypeacoat
burberrypeacoat
Lawyer

CIVIL ACTION
Date: 05/05/24

Arwwy

v.

mxoak

Response to the Motion to Dismiss

The defence's first reason for dismissal is not valid reasoning to dismiss this case and includes a defence. They state that the evidence does not show the defendant violating The Tenants and Landlords Rights Act and that it shows them breaking and placing items that may not have been in the property to begin with. I believe this statement to be contradictory and baseless. Plaintiff_Evidence3.jpeg shows items being broken, which must have been in the property to begin with. Thus, Plaintiff_Evidence3.jpeg is not only evidence that blocks were broken but also that these blocks were in the property to begin with. The defence also points to the logs arguing that they do not prove that the defendant broke blocks, and then mentions accommodations (iron_trapdoor, potted_lily_of_the_valley) that were broken. The rules shown in Plaintiff_Evidence1.jpeg state not to break penthouse items, a rule which the defence has confirmed was violated by the defendant.

In regards to the logs shown in Plaintiff_Evidence3.jpeg, I would like to point out that without the use of such logs, it would be difficult to prosecute citizens who have violated tenant rules, and would mean that cases such as this would be filled with hearsay and finger pointing. The use of logs also serves as protection for tenants against false statements. Restricting the use of these logs would mean that landlords and tenants would be required to undertake unreasonable due-dillegence in order to protect themselves when renting out or renting property, and in many cases may ward them away from doing so altogether. This may have immense negative consequences on the housing market of Stratham. The defence’s argument regarding this evidence is also based on the fact that they have not seen such evidence before, and does not provide any reasoning or an argument as to why this evidence is reason to dismiss this case.

In regards to the defence's argument revolving around Ex Post Facto, The Tenants and Landlords Act provided citizens with 1 week (7 days) to rectify any violation of the act and does not grandfather old cases. The Illegalization of Ex Post Facto Act states that “If a new law makes something illegal and does not grandfather in Old Cases, you will have a one-week grace period to remedy it before you can be punished.” This violation was not rectified, despite attempts from the plaintiff to do so. This case was brought to the courts exactly 1 week after signing of the Act. Nonetheless, previous laws also backed the claims brought to the court in this case, and the new Tenants and Landlords Act did not make a previously legal acts illegal.

Given these points, and in an effort to uphold the strength and integrity of The Tenants and Landlords Rights Act, and the justice system of The Stratham Republic, I respectfully ask the court to overrule the motion to dismiss.

Last edited:

P. Hunter

Chief Justice
Chief Justice
Justice
Judge
Lawyer
Donator
poemhunter
poemhunter
Chief Justice

Right,

Regarding the motion to dismiss and the reply I will be reviewing them in due course and replying with my judgement to them. On this note however I am strongly cautioning plaintiff counsel in the court. It is courteous to wait for the Judge in sitting to call for your reply or ask for such a reply or additional time and have it granted. It is standard procedure to be allowed to reply to any MTD but upon the calling of sitting judge.

That will be all for now until my decision on the current motion

P. Hunter

Chief Justice
Chief Justice
Justice
Judge
Lawyer
Donator
poemhunter
poemhunter
Chief Justice

Right,

After carefully reviewing this case and what has been shown I will discuss the Motion to Dismiss, the counter arguments and my final decisions.

MTD;

Point 1:​

I find myself after careful analysis agreeing with this point raised by defence counsel. The items listed by the plaintiff to which they seek damages for have no substantial basic to show they were in fact part of the property before hand. Having looked at the evidence there isn’t a factual basis to which can be alluded that the plaintiff had put these items down to which the defendant supposedly broke. Furthermore from looking at Evidence 3 the unclear logs and it showing the breaking and placing to which shows they from the dates the defendant had originally placed them and then broke them suggesting they where the owners of said items in question.

I also take into question the usage of ‘The tenants and Landlords Rights Act”. The pontiff raises Section 5 subsection 2 which the court had to figure out the true meaning of which section due to the numerical lack of clarity, the plaintiff also refers to Section 7(4) and (4a) which refers back to Section 4 of the Act. Section 4 categorises what must meet the apartment standards which are definitive listed objects without room to speculate to anything else so the basis to which would see damages with the reference to the law is incorrect and doesn’t match to what they plaintiff is alleging.

To conclude on this point the onus to prove that said items not listed within Section 4 of the referenced act is on the plaintiff and without unequivocal evidence to show the accused can not be held liable especially when said presented evidence doesn’t match what is to be claimed.

Point 2:​

On the raising of the issue of evidence 3 I do concur with the obscurity of the provided evidence. This is not of natural obtainment from a standard player and I find the supply of which extremely distressing to the point to which I could see this being in huge breach of players constitutional rights under Section 5.3. I had also raised this in chambers with both counsels present along with a senior staff member and the agreement of this court with senior staff of the procurement without a written court warrant of such to compel staff to supply the evidence themselves within the court is extremely distressing.

Point 3:​

On the Ex Post Facto rule provide by the Ex Post Facto rule Act within reference to Section 4(a), the rule in itself is quite clear to its intentions and applications and from this not much needs to be said to which the law stands and protects the defendant.

The Response to the MTD;

Point 1:​

The expression of the breaking of the items I do extremely take into care. Reading through the logs and the listed items and from the reading on the law in question along with the protection taken by the landlord there is limited scope to actually protect the assets within a defined property. The lack of a substantial backing to show that the items in total from the evidence provided was of the origins of the plaintiff do not meet the necessary requirements in order to overrule the motion. This is in two parts 1, being the act itself and 2, being the unlisted items. The act only caters for the listed items as they are the only listed items that any apartment would be compelled to have and the only output to that is signage as listed by the act but without clear evidence to suggest the items where in the apartment or them being listed within a property rental sign to safeguard them then there isn’t much from a legal standpoint that can be achieve. Date matching and the listing of what has been taken doesn’t match the plaintiff defence. I can concur with one aspect of this pointing two items not being fully accounted for however you run into the problem of not listed the specified item within the original position go the lawsuit and rely on a piece of evidence in question on two grounds 1; its validity and 2; its actually substance within holding the defendant to account.

Point 2:​

I wont reiterate points of the evidence 3 in question especially after the discussion held within chambers with both counsel which was also mentioned before. However I will note further action on the obtaining of such evidence will need proper measure as discussed and will be set up. Due to the perception or potential constitutional breach on a players legal rights I see no hold in this response point.

Point 3:​

This is a serious point raised by the defence counsel and the to understanding. The Ex Post Facto Act give way to both protections and protections within areas such as these based on the failings or loopholes of old laws. The intention as set in Section 3: “(1) To prevent citizens of Stratham from being prosecuted retroactively with legislation that was passed after an act was committed”. Within the section relevant to the area we are talking about, Old Cases are grandfathered into the new law and are legal. Meaning that things done before a law is passed are deemed legal and not able to sued or prosecuted upon as it was not yet law and one cannot haven’t broken a law if it wasn’t yet law. The Tenants and Landlord act fails to mention that old cases would not be grandfathered in as stated here: “(b) If a bill states that Old Cases will not be grandfathered in Ex Post Facto will not protect you”. Moving to the point raised by the plaintiff, with reference to “(c) If a new law makes something illegal and does not grandfather in Old Cases, you will have a one-week grace period to remedy it before you can be punished.” Before the act from our laws there was no legal basis for anyone to sure anyone for stolen property. This would more on fall under staff rules and handled by them so therefore there could not give rise to making something illegal within the eyes of Stratham law. To also add the Tenants and Landlords never in its commencement section referenced such in relation to the ex post facto act thus giving way to it being grandfathered in naturally via the law.

Concluding remarks and Verdict of the Motion to Dismiss

After careful consideration I will dismiss this case on the grounds present with prejudice. I think my substantial explanation above covers the grounds in why this is and I think also highlight the difficulty and the fails of laws regarding this area.

Case dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.