Cherub54321's Election Post (December 2020)

Cherub54321

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Senior Administrator
Judge
Lawyer
Mayor of Covington
Donator
Cherub54321
Cherub54321
Judge
Hi everyone, I'm Cherub54321, and I am running as a member of parliament for BC's 21st term. Over the last few months, I have seen incidents that I feel could have been averted had there been clearer laws for people to follow. As a result, if I were to be elected as an MP, that is what I would like to do, to improve and clarify BusinessCraft laws. Below are some examples of laws that I would like to work on.

Improvements in Murder / PVP Laws:
  • I believe that the jail time for murder is too long, and that it should be reduced to 5 minutes. This would bring it in line with other laws. Most laws at least have a verbal warning before any punishment, such as abuse of government signs and weaponry in safe zones. I do not believe that this would suit murder, however I feel that the law for murder is unnecessarily harsh.
  • Often, people comment about the fact that there is no compensation for victims of murder. I would therefore like to propose a compensation scheme for all PVP laws. I feel that a quarter of the fine the offender receives should be given to the victim of the offence.
Protection for EM's / Rangers working in the wilderness:
  • Recently on the server, there have been issues regarding people's attitudes to DoA workers doing their job in the wilderness. Although they are protected by murder laws, I would like to propose a new law for their protection, similar to the server rule regarding killing staff members on a ticket, although with punishments in the form of jail time and fines.
I would also like to work on other laws, including the ESL and evading arrest. If you have any questions, please reply here or message me ingame or on discord (Cherub54321#4516). I would like to hear your views on the statements that I have put above, and wish all other candidates the best of luck!

Last edited:

Shecky

Citizen
Donator
It took me a while to understand why nothing was there lol. Anyways, you said "I believe that the jail time for murder is too long and that it should be reduced to 5 minutes.". BusinessCraft is a roleplay server which means it's trying to mimic real life. Obviously the jail time won't be the same but for a charge like murder 10 minutes isn't that bad. Is it okay if I ask you to elaborate on why you think 10 minutes is too much?

Cherub54321

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Senior Administrator
Judge
Lawyer
Mayor of Covington
Donator
Cherub54321
Cherub54321
Judge
The problem with murder on a minecraft server is that it isn't the same as in real life. If a player dies, all that happens is that they get teleported to the nearest hospital and lose 5kr. Although I absolutely don't support murder, 10 minutes is a long time when you are playing a game, and so I feel that for a one off it should be lower (if they murder multiple times, they will still get a longer sentence). Crimes like abuse of government signs and frivolous cases cause far more problems for other players, yet have considerably less harsh punishments. I feel that murder needs to be brought in line with other laws on the server.

violetunknown

Your Friendly Neighborhood Trash Panda
Deputy Prime Minister
Department of Public Affairs
Lawyer
Donator
violetunknown
violetunknown
Deputy Prime Minister
  • I believe that the jail time for murder is too long, and that it should be reduced to 5 minutes. This would bring it in line with other laws. Most laws at least have a verbal warning before any punishment, such as abuse of government signs and weaponry in safe zones. I do not believe that this would suit murder, however I feel that the law for murder is unnecessarily harsh.
Murder is a serious offense. How do you think reducing the punishment would affect the rise of murders in the server. How harsh should the warning be for 1st offense murder. Should there be at least a 5 kr fine for 1st offense to cover the 5 kr people lose when dying?
  • Often, people comment about the fact that there is no compensation for victims of murder. I would therefore like to propose a compensation scheme for all PVP laws. I feel that a quarter of the fine the offender receives should be given to the victim of the offence.
As I said earlier, people only lose 5 krunas when dying, how much more money is truly necesary to compensate? Would someone getting murdered by someone whos already on the 3rd or 4th offense get more money even though they probably recieved no more of a hassle then those who were murdered on the 1st of 2nd offense? should there be a certain rate of compensation that the # offense fine is plopped on top of? Or do people who get killed later in a genocide just get luckier? How would you resolve the inconsistencies in this policy?

• Recently on the server, there have been issues regarding people's attitudes to DoA workers doing their job in the wilderness. Although they are protected by murder laws, I would like to propose a new law for their protection, similar to the server rule regarding killing staff members on a ticket, although with punishments in the form of jail time and fines.
What would this 'new law' consist of. How do you propose protecting people from attitude? Do the DoA members SS people badmouthing them on job, or what proof would be required to enable these fines and jail time. Do you have any thoughts on warning people whose unregioned but clearly labeled builds are on the fast track for demolition?
  • I would also like to work on other laws, including the ESL and evading arrest.
How so?

Cherub54321

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Senior Administrator
Judge
Lawyer
Mayor of Covington
Donator
Cherub54321
Cherub54321
Judge
Murder is a serious offense. How do you think reducing the punishment would affect the rise of murders in the server. How harsh should the warning be for 1st offense murder. Should there be at least a 5 kr fine for 1st offense to cover the 5 kr people lose when dying?

I'm not suggesting that we introduce tiered punishments for murder, rather that we just lower the jail time for any murder from 10 minutes to five minutes. The 80kr fine should also stay. In regards to rising crime rates as a result of this change, in my opinion I don't think that people are going to be willing to be jailed for 5 minutes any more than the current 10 minutes. The people who will murder are likely to have murdered without any change in the law.

As I said earlier, people only lose 5 krunas when dying, how much more money is truly necesary to compensate? Would someone getting murdered by someone whos already on the 3rd or 4th offense get more money even though they probably recieved no more of a hassle then those who were murdered on the 1st of 2nd offense? should there be a certain rate of compensation that the # offense fine is plopped on top of? Or do people who get killed later in a genocide just get luckier? How would you resolve the inconsistencies in this policy?

In the case of murder, as I said above, I'm not suggesting tiered punishments, so this would stay as 20kr (one quarter of the fine given). For other crimes, where tiered punishments are used, (for example unwanted PVP), a possible solution could be to have a set compensation, say half the minimum fine.

What would this 'new law' consist of. How do you propose protecting people from attitude? Do the DoA members SS people badmouthing them on job, or what proof would be required to enable these fines and jail time. Do you have any thoughts on warning people whose unregioned but clearly labeled builds are on the fast track for demolition?

This law would basically be to prevent players from stopping DoA workers from doing their jobs. As punishments, I would possibly suggest a 40kr fine and verbal warning for first offence, 5mins jail and 80kr fine for second offence, and 15mins jail and 160kr fine for any offence after that. In regards to how it would be enforced, it would be enforced in the same way as most current laws, simply send a PO a screenshot / report it to them for them to act on it.

I would also like to work on other laws, including the ESL and evading arrest.

I would like to change the way that evading arrest is punished, by doubling the jail time, not the fine. This is because in my experience, people don't care about their fine being doubled, as most people can either pay it without noticing it or don't have enough money to pay anyway. By doubling the jail sentence instead, this would would decrease the incentive to avoid arrest, and hence save police officers from a lot of work in tracking down the offender. With the ESL, I would like to work with the DoE to improve enforcement, possibly involving PO's, as there are a lot of people who break it, and the DoE don't have enough manpower to catch all of them.

I hope that answers your questions, and if you have any more, just let me know and I will be happy to answer them.

violetunknown

Your Friendly Neighborhood Trash Panda
Deputy Prime Minister
Department of Public Affairs
Lawyer
Donator
violetunknown
violetunknown
Deputy Prime Minister
I'm not suggesting that we introduce tiered punishments for murder, rather that we just lower the jail time for any murder from 10 minutes to five minutes. The 80kr fine should also stay. In regards to rising crime rates as a result of this change, in my opinion I don't think that people are going to be willing to be jailed for 5 minutes any more than the current 10 minutes. The people who will murder are likely to have murdered without any change in the law.

In the case of murder, as I said above, I'm not suggesting tiered punishments, so this would stay as 20kr (one quarter of the fine given). For other crimes, where tiered punishments are used, (for example unwanted PVP), a possible solution could be to have a set compensation, say half the minimum fine.

This law would basically be to prevent players from stopping DoA workers from doing their jobs. As punishments, I would possibly suggest a 40kr fine and verbal warning for first offence, 5mins jail and 80kr fine for second offence, and 15mins jail and 160kr fine for any offence after that. In regards to how it would be enforced, it would be enforced in the same way as most current laws, simply send a PO a screenshot / report it to them for them to act on it.

I would like to change the way that evading arrest is punished, by doubling the jail time, not the fine. This is because in my experience, people don't care about their fine being doubled, as most people can either pay it without noticing it or don't have enough money to pay anyway. By doubling the jail sentence instead, this would would decrease the incentive to avoid arrest, and hence save police officers from a lot of work in tracking down the offender. With the ESL, I would like to work with the DoE to improve enforcement, possibly involving PO's, as there are a lot of people who break it, and the DoE don't have enough manpower to catch all of them.

I hope that answers your questions, and if you have any more, just let me know and I will be happy to answer them.
aight, tysm cher, that clears it all up! Gl with yur campaign!