Answered / Added New Player Initiative

Taylor1249

Citizen
- Username: Taylor1249
- Suggestion Title: New Player Initiative
- Elaborate (Why do you think it should be added, how will it improve the server, etc.):

I'd like to propose that we move the University closer to spawn as well as give players in-game job guides in the form of written books.

Moving the university closer to spawn would allow new players to more easily find their way around the server. I propose we move the university to the mostly vacant Government Grocery Store. I see so many players asking "where is the university?" Even if they manage to find their way there, they struggle with the exams. This is why I also propose /job guides to be in the format of in-game books. A player could purchase/receive an in-game book via /jobguides or a store within the university. /jobguides itself is outdated with broken links and a lack of information. This will give us an opportunity to fix that as well as provide a more new-player-friendly experience.

- Does this require the installation of a new plugin (Yes/No): No
- Additional Information:

With summer coming soon, I believe it's important that we do our part in making Business craft new-player friendly. That's how we keep this server going.

Creepsteve05

Member Of Parliament
Banned
Donator
This is a great idea and similar things have been suggested many times before, although it won’t happen because staff are too stubborn. The server also needs more than a uni location change if it wants to see player growth

Ferngrove2004

The Turtle Master
Donator
My Response and Added Suggestions

University - Regarding the movement of the university, I believe that it is well placed, but the confusion of new players in finding it is an issue. What could be done is we could move the bus itself, right to the door of the university as opposed to in front of a random building with nothing but a sign showing the way. I have heard talk of this action from way back when I was first a tour guide on the server last year, but nothing has been implemented. Honestly, the longer we wait the more strain on tour guides when people cannot find their way. Once this simple action happens, if it were to happen, the results would be amazing.

Another thing that would help, is having a sign, a custom map sign or billboard for the university either on the front or side of the building (If the bus was moved, right near it so it was visable) could help visibility as well. This is just a last-second thought and is def refine-able.

I believe that the university should be updated, classrooms would be fascinating and would show which jobs go where as opposed to having a huge mash of all the jobs exactly together. It could be sort of a campus. *flashbacks to Orangie's suggestions*

Grocery Store - The Grocery Store, at this point is very rarely used, I believe it should be updated. Instead of everything being within a building, a storefront style could be used, to allow people to see -- from the outside -- what is being sold. A sort of farmers market, instead of just a building.

Along these lines, the Government Mall really and truly needs to be done away with. It serves very little purpose aside from selling mob heads, and that could easily be moved to a small section of the Grocery store, or if updated farmer's market. If the head shop was moved I'm certain it would be used more, and people who needed it would actually be able to find it without increased help from Tour Guides.

Another mini-suggestion is having periodically changing special mob

heads, sold at a higher price, to get money for the
government. But that's another random rabbit trail so~

Job Guides - For this matter, I don't personally believe that changing the format to books is a good idea, what we need is a link that works for everyone, and an update for the current jobs and a format update for the guide itself. Going through the test step-by-step and making sure that the questions are answered in the job guide is a must, considering that a new player won't know what types of quirks our different jobs might have without. A note for if a plugin is broken or in progress of being made may also be helpful, just until it's fixed of course.~

Any suggestions or revisions to any of these ideas are welcome, this is supposed to be another discussion sparker inside a discussion sparker~ <3 ;) And if anyone needs any other suggestions like, hmu~ lmao
----
A Note -

To Governmental leaders, Staff, and Cabinet: I know you all have been working so hard, and with life in the real world along this changing a game can be difficult, messy, and sometimes even a risky move. I thank you all for the work you have done, and are doing to better this server, but I implore you to keep your eyes and ears open to the suggestions of the player-base. Knowing what people are looking for is a first step in bringing in new players, and keeping the current players happy. Even if you decide that it is better to not implement a given suggestion, a response with an explanation as to why and how would be an amazing step to continuing communication and progress and change. Even if the ideas might seem a bit odd, or just difficult, giving them thought--and if you like them implementing instead of just nonchalantly agreeing--would be amazing! Along with this, if a player or group of players suggests something, odds are they would be more than willing to help out in implementation as much as they can. Thanks for all you do, and apologies if this little spiel makes no sense or sounds rude in any way, that was not my intention in any way shape or form.

----

~ Fern

Last edited:

Taylor1249

Citizen
Fern, love the input!
I agree. The bus is a bit out of the way. I say park it within the university campus. That way, new players have no choice but to walk into the building./ /jobguides needs to be updated. I agree with that. Broken links, unhelpful job guides, and confusing exams make it hard for new players to find a job.

A side thought that we discussed on the server is to update the buses. I love how the Subway works where you are given a range of options. This is a much better experience mindlessly clicking a button. This would also make traveling to the University much easier for new players.

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
taylor, these are great suggestions! allow me to provide some color from my own, independent perspective (i'm not speaking on behalf of cabinet or anyone else.)

re: university
i definitely agree with you people ask how to get to the university often. in all my experience, regardless of where it's located, people will always ask that question. it's covered in the tutorial, marked on dynmap, and shown in live tours. it could be smack in front of spawn and the simple truth is people don't know how to follow directions. people ask where the bus is, too. it literally couldn't be closer.

there is a reason all the major government buildings are not immediately in front of spawn. spreading them out gives people a reason to actually travel further and see more of the city. if everything were steps from spawn, there's little reason to go beyond that.

all that said, i definitely agree with fern's idea to move the bus in front of the university instead of across the street. i remember when i was new, that confused the crap out of me. i wandered further than i'd like to admit looking for it. marking it from the side is a great idea, too, so it's visible from further away.

I believe that the university should be updated, classrooms would be fascinating and would show which jobs go where as opposed to having a huge mash of all the jobs exactly together. It could be sort of a campus. *flashbacks to Orangie's suggestions*
fern, this is an excellent idea. having dedicated classrooms for each job and even having the guide linked would be a super cool experience. the main lobby there could serve as a directory instead. i love it.

re: grocery store
the grocery store is currently less than full because the DoC evicted and re-pasted the entire building quite recently. it will take a little time for it to rent out again. i do understand the grocery store, in general, hasn't been a popular spot, but there are some upcoming changes cabinet is working on that may change that. i, unfortunately, am not at liberty to say more about that yet.

re: /jobguides
the new /jobguides GUI is actually way handier than it was before and everything to me seems to be up to date. is there a specific example of a guide you believe is wrong or incomplete? you can also approach the DoE with any inconsistencies, as they are the ones who handle guides.

it would be much harder to keep guides as books up-to-date than it is forum posts. the entire thing would need to be manually copied and re-pasted every time a change is made. the links GUI is much more efficient.

extra thoughts
adding some of my own input in the conversation, i think bus travel could be much more efficient and clear. perhaps instead of pressing a button for every stop, the button opens a GUI for someone to select their final destination, similar to airports. then they're charged the total rate of all the stops instead of 1kr at a time. that also will make it so much easier for people trying to find specific landmarks like the university. they could see them all at once and only click one button to get there.

we also could maybe add a hover menu above the busses. i remember when i was new i thought they were decorative. i didn't know they actually worked. adding a hover menu with the current stop and directions for use could go a long way to showing it's a viable transportation option and help players get their bearings.

if those updates were made, the university was marked from the outside, and the bus dropped off right in front, i think that would address your concerns, taylor. what do you think?

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
Grocery Store - The Grocery Store, at this point is very rarely used, I believe it should be updated. Instead of everything being within a building, a storefront style could be used, to allow people to see -- from the outside -- what is being sold. A sort of farmers market, instead of just a building.

Along these lines, the Government Mall really and truly needs to be done away with. It serves very little purpose aside from selling mob heads, and that could easily be moved to a small section of the Grocery store, or if updated farmer's market. If the head shop was moved I'm certain it would be used more, and people who needed it would actually be able to find it without increased help from Tour Guides.

Another mini-suggestion is having periodically changing special mob

heads, sold at a higher price, to get money for the
government. But that's another random rabbit trail so~

as a side note to you, fern, i tried to do this on my own with Oakland Food Market. it clearly did not work lol. it may have been a location, thing, but still, i'm not sure the layout of the grocery store is really the issue. as i mentioned above, there is someone coming that may help the grocery store become viable again.

as far as the government mall goes, we've been discussing this in cabinet but we're tripping up with what to do with that space instead, as well as where to move the existing department shops. do you have ideas for either?

your mini-suggestion has also been a recent topic of discussion already as well. c:

Ferngrove2004

The Turtle Master
Donator
adding some of my own input in the conversation, i think bus travel could be much more efficient and clear. perhaps instead of pressing a button for every stop, the button opens a GUI for someone to select their final destination, similar to airports. then they're charged the total rate of all the stops instead of 1kr at a time. that also will make it so much easier for people trying to find specific landmarks like the university. they could see them all at once and only click one button to get there.

we also could maybe add a hover menu above the busses. i remember when i was new i thought they were decorative. i didn't know they actually worked. adding a hover menu with the current stop and directions for use could go a long way to showing it's a viable transportation option and help players get their bearings.
I LOVE these ideas!

Any way to make bus travel simpler and less confusing for new players would be fantastic!
as a side note to you, fern, i tried to do this on my own with Oakland Food Market. it clearly did not work lol. it may have been a location, thing, but still, i'm not sure the layout of the grocery store is really the issue. as i mentioned above, there is someone coming that may help the grocery store become viable again.

as far as the government mall goes, we've been discussing this in cabinet but we're tripping up with what to do with that space instead, as well as where to move the existing department shops. do you have ideas for either?

your mini-suggestion has also been a recent topic of discussion already as well. c:

Honestly, when I thought of a farmers market, my mind, personally went to oakland. The only issue with that food market itself is its distance from spawn, it gets little foot traffic thus less business. But I do see what you mean with the layout, I'm looking forwards to seeing what person brings life to the Grocery store!

Along with the government mall, I would honestly not be sure as to what could go in its place, or, if anything truly needs to go in its place. If something does go in its place, possibly apartments or some other form of government building.

Where to move the department shops seems slightly easier to me, within spawn I'm fairly certain there is an office or two that I can't see a reason for (Not saying there isn't one, but I'm going to go out on a whim and make the suggestion). But if there was a way to actually put the shop within the spawn building, that would be a fascinating concept. Another idea would be make a corner of the grocery store designated for it, an area specifically for the government shops.

On another note, you could build a smaller building where the government mall was and make that a government shop instead of a whole mall that's sole reality is emptiness and confusion as to where the gov sell shops are inside the larger area.

Questions, Critiques, and comments are welcome! <3

~Fern

Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
Hey, thanks for the suggestions!

Implemented:
  • We've moved the bus a few days ago to be right in front of the main building in the University
  • I've added a bunch of chat filters to offer automatic responses to phrases such as "Where is the university", hopefully to guide new players in the right path. Feel free to test it out in-game :grinning:
Other comments:
  • The /jobguides books is an interesting idea. I'm sure the DoPA (@ShadowLink17) can look into writing it
  • I love the idea of utilizing the university buildings to their full extent. I'll tag @_Info_ and @SlimeEmperor to consider these suggestions