Answered / Added Towns to Cities

Jocie

10/10 Lawyer ;)
Donator
- Username: jocie123
- Suggestion Title: Towns to Cities
- Elaborate (Why do you think it should be added, how will it improve the server, etc.): So, as many of us know, having a city takes a lot of effort and time. A new mayor, or someone who has just happened to be rich enough to win the bidding, may not be fully aware of how much it can take. I propose that we, instead of being limited as towns or cities, should have all new areas begin as towns. If it grows at a reasonable speed and continues to follow rules, there should be a parliament vote on whether it could become a city.
- Does this require the installation of a new plugin (Yes/No): No.
- Additional Information: If we were to implement this into the game, chances are we wouldnt have cities that began strong but soon fizzled out to have nobody walk the limits in months. It would also give current town mayors a reason to keep building and making towns more lovely. Frankly I dont get the idea behind allowing the richest person to own a city then telling anyone that isnt in the top 5% they can only run a town and a town it will stay. With that lack of motivation, its a wonder people make towns at all. Although this could risk having a few more cities than needed, it also could push players to make more towns since itll take awhile before they can actually call it a town, let alone a city.
Please consider this before shooting me down since I know the current order has been in place for years before me. I would just like to see some more realism in this already great server. :)

Kat

flower girl
Donator
Towns are created in areas along highways in between cities. Allowing towns to be cities would not allow the cities to expand. But it is true that some cities at the moment don’t look they are growing at all which is a problem that cabinet will deal with very soon.

This NEEDS to happen in order for cities to grow. Let's take a look at the current cities that were auctioned to players with the most amount of Krunas.

Westwood - Horrible buildings and nobody lives there. City owner does nothing in the city for months.
Palmbay - Horrible buildings with people living there because of Sherlock's company. City owner does nothing major in the city for months, but he is an admin so bow down to him.
Covington - Decent looking city, but the owner either lacks the knowledge of how to get people to join his city or he is more focused on building instead of managing an actual city.
OCC - The best looking city with nobody living there, it has the same problem as Covington.

What is the cause of these issue? " just happened to be rich enough to win the bidding" this is extremely unfair compared to a town owner building a very nice town and having multiple residents and then being able to upgrade it to a city. I 100% support this suggestion, and it will be the only way to fix the actual problem.
Allowing towns to be cities would not allow the cities to expand.
This can be fixed by copy/pasting the entire town to a better location if it is approved to become a city. DoC can also define specific areas for towns to be created so in the future they can become cities if approved.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I will not reword my thought to make it seem like there isn't a large problem with the cities on a "City Server" while most towns have better buildings and more residents than these cities that have existed for a long time.

Last edited:

Jocie

10/10 Lawyer ;)
Donator
Towns are created in areas along highways in between cities. Allowing towns to be cities would not allow the cities to expand. But it is true that some cities at the moment don’t look they are growing at all which is a problem that cabinet will deal with very soon.
I understand it could be slightly problematic but maybe we shouldnt be thinking of towns as just stops between cities. They are their own communities and deserve to be recognized. And I see what youre saying about less city expansion but most cities arent expanding much to begin with. Having towns with existing residents become cities wouldnt mean any less progress on existing cities since the players will most likely continue to work where they reside. It is already a thing that happens frequently so I think we may as well make use of this and reward the players working so diligently on their towns. The only good reason I could fathom for not wanting to pass this is having two cities too close to eachother. But in that case we could pass something else with some of the original rules. Say, if you plan to make a town in a 1500-3000 block radius of a city it cannot become anything more than a town. But even then, we have thousands of blocks to explore and build on and I dont think it would be a problem if we could get more roads put down (which I am willing to help with by hand if we can get this implemented).

Sprite

Citizen
Donator
Palmbay - Horrible buildings with people living there because of Sherlock's company. City owner does nothing major in the city for months, but he is an admin so bow down to him.
They have re-iterated this MULTIPLE times. Their progress on buildings (on a different server) was completely reset. Bh and Lib have no control over that. The buildings that are "horrible" are built by players who bought plots, not bh or lib. They've made a hell lot more progress recently, too.

But all in all, this is an interesting idea. The only issue I see is being that the new towns (or cities I suppose) would probably be deserted as they'd be more far out of the whole loop of things distance-wise

Last edited:

Jocie

10/10 Lawyer ;)
Donator
But all in all, this is an interesting idea. The only issue I see is being that the new towns (or cities I suppose) would probably be deserted as they'd be more far out of the whole loop of things distance-wise

I see where youre coming from but isnt a city requirement to have an airport? Plus, a wider selection of places to live in, work at, or just visit is always appealing. Players new and old can see what this server has to offer as they fly to each city. I think it could be a good thing to spread the server out more. Especially since it would mean thered be more easily develop-able land for bases, farms, factories, etc. This could also make for a bit of a solution to the over populated and fairly destroyed warps 1-4. With more land easily accessible, hopefully the servers loop could expand to include much more than just a few small areas.

Sprite

Citizen
Donator
I see where youre coming from but isnt a city requirement to have an airport? Plus, a wider selection of places to live in, work at, or just visit is always appealing. Players new and old can see what this server has to offer as they fly to each city. I think it could be a good thing to spread the server out more. Especially since it would mean thered be more easily develop-able land for bases, farms, factories, etc. This could also make for a bit of a solution to the over populated and fairly destroyed warps 1-4. With more land easily accessible, hopefully the servers loop could expand to include much more than just a few small areas.
It doesn't expand to include any areas. Everything is centralized in Capital. That's why other cities are dead.

And also, this idea kinda sorta maybe exists: https://mcbusinesscraft.com/forum/threads/town-expansion.4189/

Corax

Citizen
Donator
I sorta like this. But what if we had a application format for making your town a city, and a much more expensive expansion price? Maybe if the town mayor had enough "mayor time" (idk) such as 4 months they would be eligible to apply? This is interesting.

Everything is centralized in Capital. That's why other cities are dead.

If this is such a problem then mayors should add more attractions then lol

I sorta like this. But what if we had a application format for making your town a city, and a much more expensive expansion price? Maybe if the town mayor had enough "mayor time" (idk) such as 4 months they would be eligible to apply? This is interesting.

If this is such a problem then mayors should add more attractions then lol
I'm almost certain Luxaholic and others are smart enough to determine which towns deserve to become cities and they will most likely require the owner to be active. 4 months seems like an extremely long time. If a town is clearly growing and has a lot of people then that 4 month period is just holding it back from growth which is not good.

Everything is centralized in Capital. That's why other cities are dead.
The reason people do not live in the current cities is because the owners have no idea how to add attractions such as farms and other sources of Krunas. Westwood was completely dead and Sherlock created a small farm and now he has 30+ workers following him around. Imagine if city owners did something similar instead of expecting people to move into their cities for a small plot or apartment. This is not a "THAT CITY TAKES ALL THE PLAYERS" problem, it's a management issue and this suggestion will solve it by allowing the absolute best towns/cities to grow.

Sprite

Citizen
Donator
I'm almost certain Luxaholic and others are smart enough to determine which towns deserve to become cities and they will most likely require the owner to be active. 4 months seems like an extremely long time. If a town is clearly growing and has a lot of people then that 4 month period is just holding it back from growth which is not good.

The reason people do not live in the current cities is because the owners have no idea how to add attractions such as farms and other sources of Krunas. Westwood was completely dead and Sherlock created a small farm and now he has 30+ workers following him around. Imagine if city owners did something similar instead of expecting people to move into their cities for a small plot or apartment. This is not a "THAT CITY TAKES ALL THE PLAYERS" problem, it's a management issue and this suggestion will solve it by allowing the absolute best towns/cities to grow.
That would be true if this was real life, but many people can't justify traveling, say 10 minutes, just for such attractions especially considering we only have one home

ferre007_

Citizen
Covington - Decent looking city, but the owner either lacks the knowledge of how to get people to join his city or he is more focused on building instead of managing an actual city.

Covington is undergoing a phase of both cleaning up and evicting old plots and also expanding to attract more businesses and players to live in the city. So I do not see the need for you to comment on my city management skills without doing much research.

DerpGaming20_YT

Citizen
Donator
DerpGaming20_YT
DerpGaming20_YT
Tier4
I don’t like the suggestion, as towns aren’t supposed to be expanded (though a past parliament member was too... for a nice word, ignorant to read) in the first place. It says in the towns post that Towns are NOT Cities. I think we should just wait till another city is up for auction.

Last edited:

Sprite

Citizen
Donator
And if we're gonna be fair here, someone mentioned the rich will only win the city auctions when towns (not the 10,000 ones those are too small tbh) cost around as much as the auctions do

DerpGaming20_YT

Citizen
Donator
DerpGaming20_YT
DerpGaming20_YT
Tier4
I don’t like the suggestion, as towns aren’t supposed to be expanded (though a past parliament member was too... for a nice word, ignorant to read) in the first place. It says in the towns post that Towns are NOT Cities. I think we should just wait till another city is up for auction.
I was going to keep the person who I’m talking about here anonymous, however due to a misunderstanding with a player believing I was talking about them, I was talking about Krix’s bill here: https://mcbusinesscraft.com/forum/threads/town-expansion.4071/

Last edited:

Jocie

10/10 Lawyer ;)
Donator
I don’t like the suggestion, as towns aren’t supposed to be expanded ... It says in the towns post that Towns are NOT Cities. I think we should just wait till another city is up for auction.

Well thats what I think we should change. I dont think that they are cities, I just think that it should be a process to earn mayoral rights to one. We all want a realistic server, right? I mean, its why Im here at least. A second life that can feel more fulfilling than reality. Well, the road from village to town to city is a part of reality. It takes more work, sure, but it ensures the activity of the server. If we could implement this it could mean more activity on the server as more players would be motivated to have their settlements grow from just a little mud hut to a fully functioning city. And no, towns arent cities. Im not saying they are. But they should have the ability to become one. Instead of having auctions over the ones that have broken down and are only around cause the owner pops on once a week for a few minutes I think they should be in an evolutionary system where they can grow and be recognized on the server for it.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and you are certainly allowed to dislike this idea, but is it worth waiting for months for a city to auction before you can truly begin improving a dead city? Or would it be better to instead build something that is wholly yours, of your design, from the ground up?

Jocie

10/10 Lawyer ;)
Donator
And if we're gonna be fair here, someone mentioned the rich will only win the city auctions when towns ... cost around as much as the auctions do

I suppose this is a fair point. Building costs can be great, as can expansion prices, but my main idea behind all this is to make the cities more available and lively. With a bit of motivation, towns that get worked on for a few weeks just to get abandoned could become something great. The prices to work your way to a city with this method should be just as expensive as it was to buy a city in the past two years to make it fair for the older players. But the prices at the moment are quite absurd. If you are going to be making something that is actually described as just a stop on the highway, then why make it so pricey?
You make a good point and that should be focused on more often. A region half the size with strict regulations and smaller visitation shouldnt cost as much as a city. That would certainly need to change if this gets staff approval. Cause if you paid a fee after the vote for a town to become a city then you could be paying for a city and a half, or even two. I suppose it could be a good way of keeping the server from getting over built on, but its still pretty unfair for mayors and city staff if they make it to that point.

Jocie

10/10 Lawyer ;)
Donator
...many people can't justify traveling, say 10 minutes, just for such attractions especially considering we only have one home

Youre right. Many people dont travel a lot. Whether its cause its a long drive or just too out of the way, we all know its true. However, the server is inputting new forms of transportation. And though its for travel around just the Capitol for now, it could easily spread to the other cities and towns. For example, what if we had trainstations and ferryways that went all over the map -- even to towns (since trains going to other cities should come into play soon)? Just something to think about while this is discussed since it could make travelling more entertaining and enjoyable for the players, hopefully leading to the map opening up more with more player traffic in all locations.

Jocie

10/10 Lawyer ;)
Donator
...what if we had a application format for making your town a city, and a much more expensive expansion price? Maybe if the town mayor had enough "mayor time"...such as 4 months they would be eligible to apply?

That is a good addon to this idea. However, as someone pointed out, the months policy may not be the best way to go. There should certainly be a fee and an application to alert the government that the town is ready to proceed. I also agree that the town should exist for a certain while before becoming a city since it would just be a weekend project that the mayor never returns to. Good thinking.

Sprite

Citizen
Donator
Well thats what I think we should change. I dont think that they are cities, I just think that it should be a process to earn mayoral rights to one. We all want a realistic server, right? I mean, its why Im here at least. A second life that can feel more fulfilling than reality. Well, the road from village to town to city is a part of reality. It takes more work, sure, but it ensures the activity of the server. If we could implement this it could mean more activity on the server as more players would be motivated to have their settlements grow from just a little mud hut to a fully functioning city. And no, towns arent cities. Im not saying they are. But they should have the ability to become one. Instead of having auctions over the ones that have broken down and are only around cause the owner pops on once a week for a few minutes I think they should be in an evolutionary system where they can grow and be recognized on the server for it.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and you are certainly allowed to dislike this idea, but is it worth waiting for months for a city to auction before you can truly begin improving a dead city? Or would it be better to instead build something that is wholly yours, of your design, from the ground up?

I'm not entirely sure that I see the correlation between the build up and more activity. While yes building up is theoretically a good idea, I feel as if that with the the map would be jampacked with cities (or budding cities) leaving little room for more ones to pop up. And if we space them out more, we still have the same issue of the time to travel (or the costs when in relation to air travel).

With your train point, I'm not trying to say that potential future ideas won't ever fix it, I'm just trying to say that nothing we have in place right now will cut down on travel time. Something would have to change for this idea to work.

Koalition

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Koalition
Koalition
Towns are supposed to be little places near the highways in between the cities. We currently don't need any new cities (or towns really). In the future, we may implement a system that allows towns to expand and cover more area.