kailabeann's Election Post (September 2020)

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
Re-elect kailabeann for MP
Fighter for a brighter future
-------------------------------------
Fast Facts
IGN: kailabeann
Playtime: 35 days
Jobs: Senior Economy Secretary, Rancher

Introduction
I stepped into Parliament 19 just six weeks before the term ended. In that time, I passed six bills and helped other MPs write three more. One of my bills even created an entirely new government department. I strongly believe in creating legislation that prioritizes the needs of many over the desires of the few and looking for solutions that satisfy everyone.

My goals for this term are to focus on passing legislation that strengthens the economy, prevents fraud and abuse of government systems, improves government transparency, and more.

Last term I accomplished so much in a fraction of a full-term and received the second-highest approval rating of all MPs. This term I'll be continuing that momentum and working tirelessly to improve this server we all love, one bill at a time.

Key Accomplishments
Bills Passed

Bills Co-authored
Strengths
  • Efficiency: I have a proven track record of moving quickly and not hesitating to enact change.
  • Communication: I have excellent relationships with influential players in government and have worked closely with multiple departments to craft and edit legislation that everyone is satisfied with. I don't shy away from compromises and am willing to do what it takes to make sure the public is satisfied.
  • Accessibility: I'm extremely active in-game, on the forums, and Discord. I am always reachable for constituents to discuss government matters with me publicly or privately.
  • Experience: My previous experience in Parliament coupled with my experience in business and economics serves as an excellent foundation for understanding how new policies may affect our game. However, I also know that not everything that works in real life translates perfectly to our unique server, so adaptation and flexibility are necessary.
Goals for Term 20
  • Improving and protecting trade jobs
  • Requiring monthly Parliament & Cabinet press conferences, monthly Ministerial progress summaries, and publicizing bill veto explanations
  • Prioritizing the voice of the people by creating always-on feedback loops
  • Combining government paychecks for those with multiple roles
  • Preventing fraud and abuse of government processes and laws
Endorsements
Kaila is a driven and motivated MP. Despite her short term she created several well thought out bills. Kaila has the forethought necessary to consider, discuss, and implement meaningful bills that will make noticeable improvements to the server's economy, government, and gameplay overall. Additionally, her start on the server is the epitome of what BusinessCraft is about. With this humble beginning, she understands the struggles, exploits, and issues players have and can introduce bills to help better facilitate new players and grow businesses in every industry. I endorse kailabeann and believe she will be a valuable MP.
- Luxaholic, Prime Minister

Kailabeann's work ethic is out of this world! She goes to extreme lengths to ensure only the highest standards for her co-workers and is a role model for everyone in the community.
- blogworldexpo, Minister of Public Affairs

Kaila is exceptional at what she does. She goes above and beyond and tends to care a lot for the players when they need help and always supports them during their struggles.
- windows_dog, Police Sergeant & Server Admin

I have faith that Kaila will continue to improve our server's legislation and government system if re-elected for MP.
- SlimeEmperor, Minister of Agriculture

vote kaila fighter.png

Ferngrove2004

The Turtle Master
Donator
The Knife is ScArY, I like it >:)

Any chance you could elaborate on the Abuse and Fraud statement? How do you hope to leave these practices desolate?

Btw I love the combining of gov paychecks idea!

You've got one of my votes ;) Looking forwards to seeing these ideas implemented in the future, possibly!

hotshot80915

Citizen
Donator
hotshot80915
hotshot80915
Tier1
I have a question regarding the Combining government paychecks for those with multiple roles. To make myself clear is this adding a paycheck from all government jobs that that player has? For example if I had 2 government jobs like doctor and environment manager would i get paid 40kr per 15 mins because the EM job is paid (25 per 15 mins) and the doctor job (15 per 15 mins).

If the above is true, do you estimate the government balance can support this?

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
If the above is true, do you estimate the government balance can support this?

Yes, that's correct, hotshot. It's unethical to not pay an employee for their work just because they have other jobs. The government has been systematically profiting from free labor. There is a relatively small, finite amount of players who work for the government, and they only get paid while they are online. I don't anticipate it will cause too much disruption to the government balance, but I'd like to work with the Treasurer to get a more accurate analysis before outlining a detailed plan of action.

As a member of the DoE, I can assure you we are working on measures to improve circulation and return money back to government balance in higher and larger rates. This in conjunction with paying government employees for all their work, not just some, the government will be operating much more ethically, fairly, and without damage to the economy.

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
Any chance you could elaborate on the Abuse and Fraud statement? How do you hope to leave these practices desolate?

If you look under my Bills Passed section of my original post, I have a proven track record of responding to instances of fraud and abuse (Whistleblower Reports, Private Tipoffs, Advertising Law Edit). I deal with them head-on as they appear. Fraud and abuse are like a game of whack-a-mole: when one loophole is closed, someone finds another. I am making my stance clear that I keep a sharp eye on these situations and will rectify them immediately.

I appreciate your vote for Term 20. Thank you for your support!

bharatj

Staff member
Department of Justice
Department of Construction
Lawyer
bharatj
bharatj
Constructor
I have a question too. Would it be possible for you to perform two jobs at the exact same time? Like if you are an MP, PO, and EM for example, is it possible to do all three of those jobs at the exact same time? No, which is why this hasn’t been done already. Basically the way the system works is since you’re only doing one job at a time, you only get paid for the job you’re doing at that time. You also consistently get paid the highest salary you have available. Using the same example, if you only did EM work the whole day, but you’re an MP, you still get paid that MP salary, which is higher. The “benefit” of holding multiple jobs is being paid more than you normally would for doing a single job. I agree with your intentions, but is stacking salaries the best way to go about it?

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
Like if you are an MP, PO, and EM for example, is it possible to do all three of those jobs at the exact same time? No, which is why this hasn’t been done already.
Thanks for your question, bharatj. Allow me to clarify my thinking: at any given time, is it a guarantee an EM is doing EM tasks? Or a PO is always doing PO tasks? No, of course not. But they are paid regardless of whether they are actively working or not.

The idea that government employees are spending 100% of their time doing their government job is unrealistic. And yet the government pays them anyway because it is expected they are working at some point when they are online. If you are hired for a job, and you are completing that job, you should be paid for that job. The government is profiting from not paying a large portion of their employees for their work. If a government employee is suspected of taking advantage of that privilege, it's on their department Minister to address that.

GikoHanno

Department of Public Affairs
Donator
GikoHanno
GikoHanno
EventPlanner
I also think that having 3 or 4 jobs is kind of weird lol. It seems that people do it for the accumulated remuneration, and not for the work itself.

Windows_Dog

Microsoft Replay
Staff member
Administrator
Department of Internal Development
Lawyer
Donator
Windows_Dog
Windows_Dog
CommunityCoordinator
I also think that having 3 or 4 jobs is kind of weird lol. It seems that people do it for the accumulated remuneration, and not for the work itself.
Hello

Aight time to read Kaila's post now

GikoHanno

Donator
GikoHanno
GikoHanno
EventPlanner
Its nothing personal. Kaila and Windows are my friends (but I'm a lil afraid of kaila)

Windows_Dog

Microsoft Replay
Staff member
Administrator
Lawyer
Donator
Windows_Dog
Windows_Dog
CommunityCoordinator
Hey Kaila! I have some questions regarding your campaign.

• Improving and protecting trade jobs
Can you expand on what you mean by "trade jobs", do you mean aqua jobs or exam jobs?

• Requiring monthly Parliament & Cabinet press conferences, monthly Ministerial progress summaries, and publicizing bill veto explanations
As much as this is needed, this is hard to achieve as it requires most people to be free and be on at a certain time. On a server that is international, it's hard to work with multiple timezones and schedules of players. Regarding the Ministerial progress summaries, if I'm not mistaken, Ministers make their own reports regarding their department whether its monthly or termly, I do not know.

• Prioritizing the voice of the people by creating always-on feedback loops
I understand where you are coming from though the Approval Ratings were always a thing for players to voice their opinion on the Government system along with it players can always go to this page and make a "Government Suggestion" if they want something changed or they want something added. The suggestion page isn't only used for the Server-side, it can be used to suggest something to the Government.

• Combining government paychecks for those with multiple roles
This is something I'm all for! But in all honesty, this just brings in more people applying for aqua jobs just to make money and not really people who will be efficient. This kind of shadows the people who works vs those who won't in applications.

• Preventing fraud and abuse of government processes and laws
Preventing what fraud and abuse of what government process? If you are referring to the Sherlock Accords/Corruption, it's kind of a thing already. So if you can expand on what fraud and processes are being abused?

Thank you for reading this and you may take your time in writing a reply to this.

kailabeann

Citizen
Donator
Thank you for your questions, Windows. I appreciate your thoughts here. I'll address these one at a time.

Yes, I do mean exam jobs, specifically those not subsidized by the government. So, excluding Doctors and Tour Guides.

I agree it is difficult to coordinate an international server, but the DoPA seems to manage just fine for events and the debates. In a worst-case scenario, the only members of the government who need to be present are the PM and SoP. Regarding the Ministerial summaries, my goal here is to publicize those reports so the public can be more aware of what a department is working on or has accomplished any given month.

Approval ratings are a temperature gauge, not a feedback opportunity. I believe many players don't feel comfortable sharing their opinions and ideas publicly either on the forums or Discord for fear of being attacked or judged. I want to create a new channel for players to privately or anonymously suggest ideas or voice concerns directly to the government without the noise of the public. I'm still thinking about the best way this can be accomplished, but my ideas include looking into adding a server bot for Discord or perhaps a Google Form.

As with any job, players need to be held accountable for their work. I believe each Minister is more than capable of determining who is pulling their weight and earning their paycheck and who isn't, and can deal with that employee accordingly.

My stance on fraud and abuse is a blanket statement, as I mentioned above when ferngrove asked this question as well:
If you look under my Bills Passed section of my original post, I have a proven track record of responding to instances of fraud and abuse (Whistleblower Reports, Private Tipoffs, Advertising Law Edit). I deal with them head-on as they appear. Fraud and abuse are like a game of whack-a-mole: when one loophole is closed, someone finds another. I am making my stance clear that I keep a sharp eye on these situations and will rectify them immediately.

Windows_Dog

Microsoft Replay
Staff member
Administrator
Lawyer
Donator
Windows_Dog
Windows_Dog
CommunityCoordinator
Thank you Kaila for these answers.

Yes, I do mean exam jobs, specifically those not subsidized by the government. So, excluding Doctors and Tour Guides.
Aight then, this is something that I can get behind.

I agree it is difficult to coordinate an international server, but the DoPA seems to manage just fine for events and the debates. In a worst-case scenario, the only members of the government who need to be present are the PM and SoP. Regarding the Ministerial summaries, my goal here is to publicize those reports so the public can be more aware of what a department is working on or has accomplished any given month.
I guess instead of publicizing these reports, it would be nice to involve them within Cabinet Meeting notes - a summary of what the department has done per month or so to as you've said make the public more aware of what the department has been doing. Regarding the coordination of meetings, I'm all for it so it strengthens the team to help everyone work towards one goal which is for the players.

Approval ratings are a temperature gauge, not a feedback opportunity. I believe many players don't feel comfortable sharing their opinions and ideas publicly either on the forums or Discord for fear of being attacked or judged. I want to create a new channel for players to privately or anonymously suggest ideas or voice concerns directly to the government without the noise of the public. I'm still thinking about the best way this can be accomplished, but my ideas include looking into adding a server bot for Discord or perhaps a Google Form.
I wouldn't mind the DoPA minister to make a new Form but the problem is how will players know their suggestion is heard? On google form, there isn't any reply so maybe playing around with the ticket-tool's configuration might need to be the way I guess. But I 100% agree that players will be safe with an anonymous suggestion.

As with any job, players need to be held accountable for their work. I believe each Minister is more than capable of determining who is pulling their weight and earning their paycheck and who isn't, and can deal with that employee accordingly.
That is fair and I'm intrigued by how this bill will play out.

And Regarding the issue related to "fraud and abuse", I understand if it's a 'Hey this loophole popped up, I guess we should fix it' situation.

Thank you for taking your time with writing this reply and Best of luck for your campaign!